How do these two things go together? Well I will tell you...
This past week our family and the Hicks family decided to fast while we wait for word about a location for the new church. We are kind of at a stand still until we know where we are going to be. So as a way to focus our prayers we all decided to fast.
For the first 3 days (Monday - Wednesday) we all fasted different things. I can't speak for what the Hicks fasted, but Matthew fasted all food - just juice for 3 days. (He is way more hardcore then I am!) I chose to fast diet coke.
If you know me, then you know this is a big deal! I don't start my day without a diet coke in hand! The first day went fine, but by the end of the night I could feel myself starting to go into caffeine withdrawal. Tuesday was the worst day, I was agitated all day and had a headache. I also felt very tired all day. Wednesday was better. But all I could think about was how I got to break the fast at dinner that night with a diet coke (enter time to pray - whenever you feel the urge for whatever you are fasting you are suppose to replace that with prayer.) Then starting last night our family is doing a no meat and no dairy fast. So basically we are becoming vegans for an undetermined amount of time. Which is hard then you think! I have been looking up recipes to try and all though most don't have meat, they do have cheese or milk or cream.
I am kind of excited for this challenge. We sometimes get in a food-rut and I start making the same 7 things over and over. So this will push us outside of our comfort zone to try new things. And for me, it will push me to try new stuff.
I would consider myself a meat-a-tarian. I like meat. I eat meat with just about every meal. Meat is yummy.
I do not like a ton of veggies. I don't eat salad, or pretty much anything leafy. I have a hand full of veggies that I will eat and that is about it. So this should be fun!
So what does this have to do with Quinoa?
Well last night for dinner that was one of the things we ate to break our fast. I got some last summer on a whim, just trying to add something different into a meals. Matthew was a bit iffy about trying it, but now he loves it! So does Finley! That is usually the first thing she eats and then cries because it is all gone. I love hearing her say "I want more qui-noa!" I have a texture issue, so although I think it tastes good the texture will start to get to me after a little while.
If you have not tried quinoa before, I would recommend you getting some and trying it out. It is really good for you and is tasty! Go look it up - quinoa is all the rage!
So here is how I make my quinoa.
Lime and Cilantro Quinoa
2 cups stock (veggie or chicken - I usually use chicken, but if you are a vegetarian you can use veggie)
1 cup quinoa
Handful of cilantro - chopped
1 lime zest and juice
Salt and pepper
1) Add the stock and quinoa to a small pot and bring to a boil. You cook it just like you would rice. So as the liquid gets absorbed make sure you are watching it, because it can burn and stick fast.
2) Once the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked, move it to a bowl.
3) Chop the cilantro and add to the quinoa. Then add the lime zest and juice. Depending on how much you like the lime taste, you can squeeze more or less juice. I usually use the whole lime, especially if it is small.
4) Add salt and pepper to taste. Then serve!
I hope you enjoy it! I know my family does!
No comments:
Post a Comment