Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Thankful

Sorry I have been MIA for the past 2 weeks and haven't updated. We had a family emergency happen about 2 weeks ago.

We had a great day at the Tennessee Aquarium the day before. Finley and I were able to go with the Hicks family and the kids had a great time!










Finley and Kylie loved the fact that they were able to touch them.







All the kids loved getting the penguin to chase them. Finley had some snacks, so the penguin was very interested in those!





It was a great day and great way to spend a rainy yuck day not inside the house!!

The next days was went everything went bad. Matthew took off work because of all the rain to go run a river that doesn't normally run. I had a funny feeling about it from the beginning. His plans kept getting pushed back. The original plan was for him to be home by 3, but I got a phone call at 1 saying that were just then getting started. He said I should here from him by 4, 4 came and went but I wasn't concerned. They sometimes run behind. I finally got a phone call at 5. I am always excited to hear Matthew's voice after he has been on a river. It lets me know he is OK. This time i picked up and it was him, but he told me he had a bad day and was being taken to the ER. I kind of started to panic, but he made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. That everything was fine and he would be back to his car and home shortly. An hour later I got a text saying they gave him some painkillers and they were going to do some CAT scans. Another hour later I got a phone call from him saying it wasn't good news. He had several broken bones in his face and they were recommending him to go see a plastic surgeon as soon as possible. At this point I am making arrangements for Finley to spend the night with the Hicks and trying to get to the hospital to get him. 

It took me an hour to get to the hospital. Not because it is that far away, but because I went to the wrong hospital. I guess here in Chattanooga they have several hospitals with the same name. Go figure. Finally around 8 pm I got to him. He looked pretty beat up, but in good spirits. I guess that was from the painkillers. He was able to go home that night and was ordered to take it easy. That night he slept on the sofa to keep is head elevated for the swelling. I laid awake for several hours after going to bed tossing and turning thinking about how lucky and thankful I was that he was home and how different that day could have turned out. When that realization hit, the tears I had yet to shed come spilling out. I just laid there and thankful that I didn't have to make those horrible phone calls. That I didn't have to tell Finley why he daddy wasn't coming home. I have never been so thankful for anything in my life. We spent the next 4 days laying around the house taking it easy.

That Monday we saw the doctor, who recommended he have surgery. We got it scheduled for that Wednesday. The surgery went well. The bones were more broken then they thought. I had 3 or 4 plates and a wire mesh under his eye. So the whole left side of his face was pretty broken. The surgery took 2.5 hours. Which was longer then we were expecting, and Matthew's mom and I sat in the waiting room about ready to burst every time the phone rang. Matthew had a hard time working the medication out of his system, and had a rough first night at home. He woke up the next day very swollen, but not sick to his stomach which was good. We spent the next 4 days again, just hanging out at the house. Matt's mom and grandmother came for the day of the surgery and the day after. My parents came that Friday night for the weekend, and Matt's dad and stepmom came for the afternoon on Saturday. It was great to see everyone and let them see the new house. I just wish it had been under different circumstances. 

To top everything off, we had some insurance issues but thankfully we were able to work that out. 
And Friday afternoon, Finley woke up from her nap with a fever which carried into the next day. So I had 2 pitiful babies this past weekend. Thankfully everyone is on the mend. Matthew is back at work and is feeling better and more like himself everyday. Finley's fever broken some time Saturday night or Sunday and she is running around as crazy as usual!!

Well we have a play date that will be starting soon, so I am off! It is good to be back and hopefully I will be able to update again soon. This time with fun happenings!



No comments:

Post a Comment