Wednesday, March 7, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Wreath

A few weeks ago I was looking around online (Pinterest) for some neat things to make for St. Patrick's day when I came across this wreath. I thought it was really pretty and seemed like I could make something very similar. So I gave it a shot!


This is the Etsy shop of the woman that made the original wreath (http://www.etsy.com/shop/daffadowndillies?ref=seller_info). Thank you for the inspiration!

Well this is what my turned out looking like...


How I made it:

Materials:
* Hot glue gun and glue
* a 14 inch foam wreath ring (found at Hobby Lobby or Michael's for about $5.00)
* White yarn
* Yellow Felt
* Green Felt
*Dark Green Felt
* Black seed beads for the center of the flowers
* Amber colored gems for the center of some of the flowers
* Green with white polka dots ribbon

First, I just wrapped the wreath in the yarn. I found it easiest to cut long lengths of the yarn and hot glue it to the wreath on the back and then wrap it around. When I was done with one length of yarn, I would line the next one up with the end of the last one, always making sure to end/begin on the back where no one could see it. 

Next, I started to make the flowers. For the yellow and regular green flowers I followed the tutorial on this website http://sewingin-nomansland.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-bonnet-headband-tutorial-and.html (the tute is for a really cute headband that I have also made. I made the flowers and put them on the wreath instead of the headband. I also just made the felt flowers and not the fabric rosette. I have made the headband for a few different outfits and birthday gifts and it was a big hit!)

For the dark green flowers I followed this websites instructions  http://joyisathome.blogspot.com/2010/10/felt-flower-headbands.html. Then I just figured out how I wanted the flowers to look on the wreath and hot glued them on! Finally, I added the green ribbon to hang the wreath from on our door. From start to finish it took me about 4 hours to make it. I did this on a night when my husband was out of town and the baby was in bed.

*Note: I tried making the shamrocks, but it just didn't work out for me. I didn't like how they were looking, there wasn't enough volume to put them on the wreath next to the flowers. 
If you have any questions on how I did anything, please feel free to email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment