Today ended my almost 7 month adventure of going to the dentist. This all started in August of last year, when my husband and I had to make the decision to add our almost 18 moth old to our dental plan. If we didn't do it then, we would have to wait until the next year to add her and our pediatrician recommend that she start to see a dentist around 2. So as we made the decision to add her, and we started to discuss the fact that neither one of us had actually been to the dentist in YEARS! We have been paying for it, but never used it. Since we don't like being those "do as I say, not as I do" type parents we knew we needed to start going ourselves. How can we expect her to go and be good about it, if we aren't even willing to do it? The catch was, my husband wouldn't go until I went in. He has had some bad experiences at the dentist, and wanted me to go and let him know how it went. So I said OK, I mean the last time I had been to the dentist (in 2004) they said my teeth looked great (minus the impacted and infected wisdom teeth). So I scheduled my appointment and went. Everything seemed to be going fine, then they said "OK we will have to talk about your treatment plan..." Treatment plan?! What treatment plan!? Then the doctor said the dreaded words..... I had GIN-GI-VITIS and 11 cavities. That's right, I said 11.... all my molars except one. I don't think I have been that shocked in a doctors office since I was told I would have to have brain surgery (which is another topic for another day). After being in the office for an hour and a half, we had the plan set up and we were ready to get started, but not that day. I had to come back for 2 super deep cleaning sessions, one visit for each side of my mouth. Which during this process I learned that I am extremely hard to numb. At my first cleaning visit they used 3 Novocaine cartridges before they could start working. Once those were finished I was able to start having the cavities filled in. And today ended my long journey. From this point on, the only reason I should be going to the dentist is for my regular check-ups.
So I am treating myself to a milkshake....
On a side note, which really made me mad.... My husband only had 1 tiny cavity and gingivitis (but not as bad as mine). I mean really!?!?
No comments:
Post a Comment