** Warning: this post turned out longer then I expected it to... and sorry if it doesn't make total sense, I am trying to type this while on painkillers :) **
If you follow me on instagram then you know that I spent most of yesterday in the ER. It was not how I a planning on spending my Saturday.
Truthfully I haven't been feeling well for a while. I have had no energy or motivation. If I had a busy day, where I had a lot of errands to run or a long playdate, I would just be wiped by the time I got home. I had strep a few weeks ago, and just felt like I haven't been 100% since then.
Then almost 2 weeks ago I started to really not feel well. I began to feel like I was getting another kidney infection. I began drinking a lot water and cranberry juice hoping that it would take care of itself. Over the next week I was still in some pain and discomfort. Matthew was headed to Boston for 3 days for work and I told him if I wasn't feeling better by the time he got home I would make an appointment with my doctor. When he arrived home this past Wednesday afternoon, I still wasn't any better.
I called first thing Thursday morning to make an appointment. The guy on the phone told me they were booked up for the day. I explained what was going on and he told me to hang on a minute. I heard him talking to the doctor and when he came back on the line he told me to come in as soon as possible. The doctor would see me as soon as I got there.
I was taken back right after I walked into her office. They took me back and ran the normal doctors appointment stuff (weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup... you know). The doctor came in pretty quickly. We talked about how I was feeling and she did a physical exam. She said I had an infection somewhere, but she wasn't sure what was causing it. It could be a UTI that had turned into a serious kidney infection, it could be a virus that attached to my kidneys or is could be a kidney stone. She had some other concerns because I had some tenderness near my appendix, but my symptoms didn't match those for appendicitis. She gave me an antibiotic and took some more blood to have more tests run. She told me if my symptoms didn't get better or got worse by the weekend to go right to the ER. They wouldn't be able to confirm a kidney stone or my appendix rupturing without doing a CT scan.
Friday morning I could tell me kidneys were feeling better, but I was still having some serious pain in my right side. I haven't been sleeping well so that night I took an Ambien before bed. Even with the sleep-aid, I still didn't sleep well. I wasn't able to get comfortable and every time I moved I hurt. I had tried to call a friends dad who is a doctor Friday night to see how long through the weekend I should wait before going to go to the ER. I missed his call that night, but he called first thing Saturday morning. He told me not to wait and go ahead in.
Shortly after we arrived at the ER and I spoke with the doctor, they started me on fluids and gave me something for the pain. She then sent me to have a CT scan to rule out appendicitis. Every doctor I talked to over the past few days said my symptoms were a-typical of appendicitis, but it couldn't be ruled out until they did a scan. After the scan was done, the ER doc came back pretty quickly and explained my appendix looked fine, they couldn't see it on the scan which is a good thing. She then told me it appeared I had a clot in a vein going to my right ovary and my symptoms seemed to line up more with that. She then sent me up to have an ultrasound done to confirm the clot.
It was about 20 minutes between when she told me what was going on and when they came to get me for the ultrasound. Matthew was trying to make jokes to lighten the mood and told me "don't move!" I was trying not to get too upset, but it was scary hearing her say that I could possibly have a blood clot.
The ultrasound took about an hour. I would say it was top 5 most painful things I have ever experienced. When there isn't a baby in there, they mash down on you, HARD. It felt like she was touching my spinal cord with the ultrasound wand. She kept telling me to relax and be still. It hurt so bad it took me to tears. I was already tender and in pain in that area and now she was just mashing away! I thought I was going to wake up with bruises on my stomach this morning!
It took the doctor about another hour to come down with the results of the ultrasound. While we sat there waiting, we had pretty much resounded that I was going to be admitted with the possibility of surgery. Matthew tried telling me how they would get rid of the clot. I told him what I needed from the house and that he needed to make sure the guest bed was cleaned off and ready for my parents to come up. After what seemed like an eternity, the doctor came back with a good news/bad news situation. It was NOT a blood clot and I was being discharged, but I did have a "critical cyst" and would need to see my OB as soon as possible. I told her I had a follow up with my regular doctor on Monday, she told me to still go to that appointment and she would more then likely refer me to an OB/gyn. The ER doctor prescribe me something for the pain and nausea until we figure out what the next step is. From what I have been told, I will most likely have to have the cyst removed. I'm not sure how soon that will happen, especially since we are just days away from Christmas and New Years. I am in a good bit of pain and am uncomfortable, so they may want to do it this week. I guess I will find out when I see my doctor tomorrow!
But for now I am taking it easy and hanging out watching a lot of Netflix and taking naps :)
If you follow me on instagram then you know that I spent most of yesterday in the ER. It was not how I a planning on spending my Saturday.
Truthfully I haven't been feeling well for a while. I have had no energy or motivation. If I had a busy day, where I had a lot of errands to run or a long playdate, I would just be wiped by the time I got home. I had strep a few weeks ago, and just felt like I haven't been 100% since then.
Then almost 2 weeks ago I started to really not feel well. I began to feel like I was getting another kidney infection. I began drinking a lot water and cranberry juice hoping that it would take care of itself. Over the next week I was still in some pain and discomfort. Matthew was headed to Boston for 3 days for work and I told him if I wasn't feeling better by the time he got home I would make an appointment with my doctor. When he arrived home this past Wednesday afternoon, I still wasn't any better.
I called first thing Thursday morning to make an appointment. The guy on the phone told me they were booked up for the day. I explained what was going on and he told me to hang on a minute. I heard him talking to the doctor and when he came back on the line he told me to come in as soon as possible. The doctor would see me as soon as I got there.
I was taken back right after I walked into her office. They took me back and ran the normal doctors appointment stuff (weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup... you know). The doctor came in pretty quickly. We talked about how I was feeling and she did a physical exam. She said I had an infection somewhere, but she wasn't sure what was causing it. It could be a UTI that had turned into a serious kidney infection, it could be a virus that attached to my kidneys or is could be a kidney stone. She had some other concerns because I had some tenderness near my appendix, but my symptoms didn't match those for appendicitis. She gave me an antibiotic and took some more blood to have more tests run. She told me if my symptoms didn't get better or got worse by the weekend to go right to the ER. They wouldn't be able to confirm a kidney stone or my appendix rupturing without doing a CT scan.
Friday morning I could tell me kidneys were feeling better, but I was still having some serious pain in my right side. I haven't been sleeping well so that night I took an Ambien before bed. Even with the sleep-aid, I still didn't sleep well. I wasn't able to get comfortable and every time I moved I hurt. I had tried to call a friends dad who is a doctor Friday night to see how long through the weekend I should wait before going to go to the ER. I missed his call that night, but he called first thing Saturday morning. He told me not to wait and go ahead in.
Shortly after we arrived at the ER and I spoke with the doctor, they started me on fluids and gave me something for the pain. She then sent me to have a CT scan to rule out appendicitis. Every doctor I talked to over the past few days said my symptoms were a-typical of appendicitis, but it couldn't be ruled out until they did a scan. After the scan was done, the ER doc came back pretty quickly and explained my appendix looked fine, they couldn't see it on the scan which is a good thing. She then told me it appeared I had a clot in a vein going to my right ovary and my symptoms seemed to line up more with that. She then sent me up to have an ultrasound done to confirm the clot.
It was about 20 minutes between when she told me what was going on and when they came to get me for the ultrasound. Matthew was trying to make jokes to lighten the mood and told me "don't move!" I was trying not to get too upset, but it was scary hearing her say that I could possibly have a blood clot.
The ultrasound took about an hour. I would say it was top 5 most painful things I have ever experienced. When there isn't a baby in there, they mash down on you, HARD. It felt like she was touching my spinal cord with the ultrasound wand. She kept telling me to relax and be still. It hurt so bad it took me to tears. I was already tender and in pain in that area and now she was just mashing away! I thought I was going to wake up with bruises on my stomach this morning!
It took the doctor about another hour to come down with the results of the ultrasound. While we sat there waiting, we had pretty much resounded that I was going to be admitted with the possibility of surgery. Matthew tried telling me how they would get rid of the clot. I told him what I needed from the house and that he needed to make sure the guest bed was cleaned off and ready for my parents to come up. After what seemed like an eternity, the doctor came back with a good news/bad news situation. It was NOT a blood clot and I was being discharged, but I did have a "critical cyst" and would need to see my OB as soon as possible. I told her I had a follow up with my regular doctor on Monday, she told me to still go to that appointment and she would more then likely refer me to an OB/gyn. The ER doctor prescribe me something for the pain and nausea until we figure out what the next step is. From what I have been told, I will most likely have to have the cyst removed. I'm not sure how soon that will happen, especially since we are just days away from Christmas and New Years. I am in a good bit of pain and am uncomfortable, so they may want to do it this week. I guess I will find out when I see my doctor tomorrow!
But for now I am taking it easy and hanging out watching a lot of Netflix and taking naps :)
No comments:
Post a Comment