Sunday, June 10, 2012

Oreo Lollipops

So I have been making these Oreo Lollipops quite a bit lately. I first made them for Finley's birthday party and they were a HUGE hit. So I made some more to add in with her end of the year teacher gifts and for a surprise baby shower we threw for a friend the other weekend. Here is how I made them...

What you will need:
* 1 - 2 packages DOUBLE stuffed Oreo's. You have to use double stuffed. I tried to use the regular kind the last time I made them, but there wasn't enough cream to hold the sticks. Also, I got about 20 pops out of 1 package of Oreo's.
* Lollipop sticks. I usually get a 25 package. Obviously if you are making 40 lollipops you will need 2 packages.
* 1 - 2 bags of melting chocolate.
* Sprinkles, if desired.
* Cookie sheets
* Parchment paper
* Lollipop bags
* Ribbon

1. First you want to pull your Oreo's apart very carefully. Try not to break the cookie. You also want to keep the cream on one side. This is why you only get about 20 lollies out of one package.


2. Next, you want to melt a small portion of your melting chocolate. Dip the tip in the chocolate.


3. Then gently press the stick into the cream. You will feel the cream split. That is fine, just make sure it doesn't go off the sides. If it feels like it might, just gently push it back on the cookie. Again, try not to crack the bottom cookie.



4. Then put the top cookie back on while trying not to break the cookie. If it does break, it is not a super big deal, there is a way you can still use it. Check the bottom of the post for a how-to.


5. Let the chocolate set for a few minutes so the cookie is stuck together.


6. Next, cover one side of the cookie with chocolate. In the picture below I covered one side and the rims, but I found that if you cover just one side and let it sit, then cover the other side and the rims it actually works better. While the chocolate is wet, add your sprinkles. Place the lolly on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and let the chocolate harden. This will take about 20 minutes, give or take a few.


7. Repeat adding the chocolate and sprinkles.



8. Allow cookies to sit and harden. (I used aluminum foil this time because I was out of parchment paper. Both work just fine, but I prefer parchment paper.)


Once the cookies are set you can put the lollipop bags on them and use the ribbon to tie them and make them look pretty.


*** How to fix the top cookie if it breaks: Just take a lollipop stick with a small amount of melted chocolate and smear it on the broken piece. Line one of the broken pieces up on the cookie, then match the other piece up with the other one. I would also make sure to add the chocolate coating to the broken side first. I would be too worried that if I put the chocolate on the non-broken side first, that could cause the whole thing to break.***

No comments:

Post a Comment