Sunday, March 25, 2012

2 for Sweets Table

ugh.... I haven't been able to get on in a few days! This was the week/end that my parents decided to move! The good thing about them downsizing is that I get to pick through some of there stuff. I was able to get some pretty cool things that belonged to my grandmother and I am super excited to use them!

 I have had time to work on a project for Finley's birthday party though! I saw a big plywood 2 on a website and loved it. So I asked my husband how hard it would be to make it, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it. Afterall, I am only going to use it for one day. So after he burst my bubble (because that is what he does.... he is a bubble buster) this is what I came up with....

Materials Needed:

* Wooden number (or letter - I found mine at Hobby Lobby. I have seen bigger ones at a Joann's, but we don't have one near us)
* Acrylic Paint of desired colors (I got white and pink because those are the colors of the party)
* A sponge brush or paint brush and a paper plate
* A pencil with an eraser that has not been used.





First I painted the 2. I would paint it and then let it dry for a bit. I ended up doing 3 coats. I did paint both sides. It will be leaned up against something and you will most likely be able to see the back. I did not put the dots on the back though.


Once the paint is dry, you can use the pencil eraser to make the dots. Dip the tip into the paint and then press the eraser end onto your number in what ever kind of pattern you think looks good. I did have to do a few coats of the white dots. Just take care to match up your dots every time you do a coat.


Then let it dry and it is good to use! It is really pretty simple. I was able to do mine in a few hours.


This will be going on one of the tables at the party. So I am sure I will have pictures up once we are done with the party!

* On a side note: I sprayed mine with polyurethane because I wanted it to be shinny. This was NOT a good idea! It turned my white dots a yellow-ish color and I had to go back a repaint them. You could try a glossy or shinny paint and it would work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment