I have been seeing the chalkboard crafts all over Pinterest for a while now, and I have really wanted to try them. We have had this small white table for a few years and it has seen it's fair share of love. It is one of those cheap ones that you get at Target or Ikea for like $12. I think originally it was in our guestroom as a side table. Then when Finley was born it was moved to her nursery to hold some odds and ends items. Finally it has landed in her playroom as a place for her to color on. It was starting to look a hot mess from her coloring all over it, so I knew something needed to be done.
I didn't want to go buy anything and I still wanted her to be able to color on it. I knew I had some leftover chalkboard paint from a Christmas craft I did. So I got to thinking.... I will do that chalkboard play table I saw! WIN!
Here is how I made it...
What you will need:
A table (duh!)
Chalkboard paint
Sponge paintbrush
1.) I made sure to clean the table off really well before I started to paint it. You don't want anything getting into the paint.
*I tried to let Finley help, it was a bad idea. She got the paint all over her hands, shirt, and face. **
2.) Pour some paint on the table and then use your brush to spread it around.
3.) You want a thin first layer. You will think "uh... that isn't enough paint. This isn't going to work or it's going to horrible!" Don't worry, you have to do 3 or more coats before it starts to look smooth and finished.
4) You want to let each coat dry for at least an hour. After about 20 minutes it will look like it is dry, but if you try and add anymore paint it will just take off the first layer. So paint, let it sit, go do something else for a while, and then come back and add another layer. Do this as many times as you want until the chalk starts to look the way you want. I think I did 4 coats.
5.) Let the paint dry over night before letting your Little's color on it. By morning it should be good to go!
And there you have it, a chalkboard table top! It is really pretty easy! Finley is loving to color on it. She thinks it is fun and gets to break a rule, since we are always telling her to only color on the paper not anything else!
Happy Tuesday!
I love this idea. I've never seen it before. It's so cool.
ReplyDeleteThank you! It is so easy to do!
Delete